Adult Social Care - Comments and Complaints

We welcome your feedback - good or bad - about your experience of care as this helps us to keep improving services.

Your comments, compliments and complaints matter to us. They help us achieve the high standards we aim for.

We believe that all residents and users of the council services should receive the best possible services that are responsive and appropriate to their needs and have the opportunity to take part in making services better.


If you are happy with the service you have received or a particular member of staff let us know.  Please send your compliments to:

Or write to the address below.

Complaints about service providers 

If you want to make a complaint about a service you receive from a support or care provider, including a care home, you should tell the service provider directly using their complaints procedure.

If you have made a complaint to a service provider and are unhappy with their investigation or the outcome you can contact the council. We will then consider handling the complaint on your behalf.

Complaints about services funded by Barnet Council  

To make a complaint you can:                                     

  • email Please note this address is for Adult social care funded services complaints only
  • speak to your social worker or the manager of the service you are complaining about

How will we manage your complaint?

We aim to acknowledge your complaint no later than 3 working days after receipt and contact you to understand the issues or concerns raised.

All new complaints will be assessed in relation of their seriousness and how likely the issue is to recur, so that appropriate and proportionate action can be taken in response. We will agree with you a suitable time to response to your complaint. We aim to respond to most complaints within 20 working days.

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, please let us know within 20 working days. We will contact you to discuss options available to seek a resolution, which include:

  • obtaining a second opinion
  • meeting to discuss matters
  • arranging for mediation or an independent investigation.

If we have not been able to resolve your issues for you and you remain dissatisfied at the end of our complaints process, then you may appeal directly to the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO)

Tel: 0300 061 0614

The LGO provides a free, independent and impartial complaints service for people who use social care services, whether they fund and arrange their own care or they receive funding from their local council.

For a copy of the Adults and Communities Complaints Procedure, please email

Help with making a complaint

Barnet Citizens Advice Bureau can put you in touch with trained advocates from Advocacy in Barnet or Barnet Mencap who can help you to make complaints and follow them through, support you in speaking up for yourself and attend meetings with you.

  • Tel: 0300 456 8365

Concerns about abuse or ill-treatment

If you are suffering abuse or you are concerned about a vulnerable adult at risk or suffering abuse don't keep it to yourself

  • Call Social Care Direct on 020 8359 5000.
  • If the person is in immediate danger or needs medical treatment please contact the police or an ambulance on 999.
  • For more information and advice on abuse visit our Keeping Adults Safe pages

Other ways to share your experiences of care  

Please visit our Get involved pages to find out more ways to share your views of adult social care services.

Healthwatch Barnet is part of the nationwide Healthwatch England network. It helps residents get the best out of their local health and social care services by listening actively to their views and liaising with health and council services to make sure these views are heard and acted upon.  It also provides information and signposting about local health and social care services.

Whether you have had a good or bad experience of social care services, you can share your views with the Care Quality Commission. They are responsible for inspecting services and publishing the results to help people to make decisions about their care.

Rate this page?