Financial assessment

Once the amount you'll need to meet all of your support needs has been agreed (your personal budget), you may also have to contribute towards this amount.

How much you contribute towards the cost of your support will depend on your income and the savings you have. We'll ask you to complete a financial declaration form to assess your contribution. As part of the financial assessment, you'll need to send us evidence of your income, savings and outgoings, as set out in the form.

The financial assessment is different for people moving to a care home, see residential care for more information.

There are some services that you will always have to pay for. These services such as respite care that do not form part of a personal budget and so are not subject to a financial assessment.


After your financial assessment

If you are assessed as having savings and capital of £23,250 or more (not including the value of your main home), you'll need to fund all of your care and support from your own savings and income.
If you have savings and capital under £23,250, you could receive:

  • full funding from the council for your personal budget
  • funding in part from council, with you contributing the rest of the required amount

If you have over £14,250 in savings (but less than £23,250)

If you do, we will add £1 per week to your assessable income for every £250 of savings and capital that you have over £14,250.  For example, if you have £15,000 in savings, £3 per week would be added to your assessable income. This is because you have £750 in savings over the limit of £14,250.

How much you must contribute will depend on:

Assessable income 
When assessing your contribution we take into account most welfare benefits including:

  • Attendance allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (care)
  • Pension Credit
  • Retirement Pension
  • Pension Credit
  • Employment Support Allowance

We also take into account other types of income when assessing a contribution, for example occupational pensions.
For further information about the income that is taken into account when assessing a contribution, please contact the financial assessment team.

Guaranteed Minimum Income amount 

When assessing your contribution we need to make sure that after assessing your contribution that you have enough money to live on to meet day to day living costs, this is called your Guaranteed Minimum Income. The Guaranteed Minimum Income levels ensure that you have a protected level of income to meet the everyday living costs such as food, clothing and utility bills. 
The amount that is allowed as your Guaranteed Minimum Income amount varies depending on your age and the benefits you receive.

Expenses and outgoings

In addition to the Guaranteed Minimum Income amounts we also make allowances for outgoings and expenses including:

  • Housing costs including rent (after housing benefit), mortgage payments, council tax (after council tax support), building insurance;
  • Disability related expenses, these are the additional costs you have to pay for because of your disability  additional costs

How we work out your contribution?

After assessing your income, we then deduct allowable expenses, outgoings and the Guaranteed Minimum Amount. The amount that is left over after making these deductions is the amount that you will be asked to pay as your assessed contribution towards the costs of care.

If you disagree

We'll always explain how we have worked out your contribution. If you disagree with how we have worked this out, you have up to 20 days to contact us so that we can look into this. More information can be found in the Barnet Fairer Contributions Policy 2017-18

How we collect your contributions

You will receive an invoice for the amount you have been assessed to pay. The invoice provides information about the ways you can pay.

If you choose to receive your Personal Budget as a Direct Payment into your bank account to arrange your own care, we will deduct your assessed contribution directly from the payment that we send to you.

If you're paying for some or all of your social care services, including paying for long term care, it may be useful to get some independent financial advice.

Maximising your income

If you're receiving social care services, you may be able to apply for certain benefits, and should seek advice to make sure you are receiving all of the income you are entitled to. Find out more about money matters and the range of financial support available to you.

Rate this page?