Needs assessment by social services

Requesting a needs assessment (adults)

To request a needs assessment, please contact Social Care Direct.

  • Social Care Direct: 020 8359 5000

'Needs assessment' explained

A needs assessment will ask key questions about your life and start to identify the support you may need.

The purpose of the 'needs assessment' is to help us identify your needs and assess:

  • how these needs may impact on your wellbeing
  • the outcomes that you wish to achieve in your day to day life and
  • whether and to what extent the provision of care and support could contribute to the achievement of those outcomes.

We can then work out if you qualify for help from the council, and how much money might be needed for your support.

Mental Capacity Act

In some circumstances, we may also need to assess your ability to make certain decisions for yourself (your mental capacity). This is so that we can make sure that you are able to consent to the support we are offering, or that you understand the risks if you refuse any support.

You can ask an advocate (representative) to help you. There are several local voluntary organisations which can provide this support. If you find it easier to talk to us in another language, you can ask us to bring an interpreter when we see you. Please let us know if you would like us to provide information in your preferred format, for example large print or Braille.

Qualifying for support from the council (adults)

All councils in England use the same national level of care and support needs to work out if you qualify for support from us.

These guidelines are set nationally by the government and are known as 'eligibility criteria'.

To get help and support from adult social care at Barnet Council you must meet the following 3 conditions:

  • your needs arise from or are related to a physical or mental impairment or illness
  • as a result of your needs you are unable to achieve two or more of the specified outcomes in the policy; and
  • as a consequence there is, or is likely to be, a significant impact on your wellbeing.

For more details about how we assess adults please take a look at our Assessment Eligibility Policy (PDF).

Getting support from the council

1. If you qualify for support from the council, we may initially talk to you about some short-term support for up to six weeks to help you with regaining your independence.

If you still need further support because this this help does not resolve all your social care needs, we will plan for long-term support with you. You will be given a personal budget to help meet your support needs.

The amount of money you receive will vary from person to person. This is because the amount is based on your personal circumstances and social care needs.

You will also be given information and advice to help you select the right long-term support for you or may be offered services from other organisations both voluntary and private organisation.

Rate this page?