Events at libraries
Libraries are venues for community groups with a diverse array of interests.
Regular events you may enjoy:
- Adult reading groups: talk about the books you love and hate with fellow readers
- Conversation cafes: practice talking in English with fluent speakers and other learners
- ICT classes: A range of computer classes delivered by Barnet and Southgate College, library staff and by volunteers
- Knit and natter groups: bring your latest project or find inspiration to start one!
- Senior citizen social group, coffee mornings and afternoon tea: meet other local residents and make new friends. Enjoy talks on a range of subjects over a cup of tea or coffee.
- Job Clubs: outside agencies deliver these in various branches
- Talks: programmes of interesting talks by authors, local experts, alternative health providers and many more!
Books on Prescription
Books on Prescription are practical, self-help books that offer techniques and strategies for successfully managing and overcoming mental health problems. Topics such as depression, anxiety, managing chronic pain, stress and worry are covered in the core reading list (PDF)
Available at the following local libraries, with all Barnet libraries already holding a range of recommended reading.
- Chipping Barnet
- North Finchley
Library cards for people living with Dementia
We offer a special card for people living with Dementia. With this card, you can borrow the standard 14 items but no fines are charged on the late return of books.