Arranging a marriage or civil partnership

We are able to accommodate small civil ceremonies from 6 July 2020. Whilst ceremonies have been permitted, strict social distancing measures are still in place at Hendon Town Hall and for this reason, the number of guests will be restricted, and your ceremony may look different to how you may have expected. Government guidance is available.

We will open for new bookings on 6 August 2020.

We will be contacting couples who had their ceremonies cancelled by us due to COVID-19 in due course. If you have not heard from us, please contact


Before you can get married or form a civil partnership in England and Wales both partners must give a notice of marriage/civil partnership

We recommend that you contact the Register Office at Hendon Town Hall, or licensed venue where you want to have your ceremony, to check availability before your notice of marriage or civil partnership.

In line with government guidance, face coverings should be worn if you are attending an appointment or ceremony at Hendon Town Hall.

Most Register Offices or licenced venues will accept a provisional booking up to 12 months in advance of your wedding or civil partnership.

We have approved premises for marriage and civil partnership ceremonies in Barnet 

At a civil ceremony

On the day of your marriage or civil partnership ceremony a registrar will take you into the marriage room to check the information on the marriage authorities or civil partnership schedule, to make sure the details about you are correct and up to date.

You can be interviewed together or separately, please let us know in advance which you prefer. The Registrar will then invite your guests into the marriage room and the Superintendent Registrar will conduct the ceremony.

You must exchange some formal wording if you are getting married or forming a civil partnership.

Civil ceremonies can include exchanging rings, readings, songs or music, but must not include anything that’s religious. For example; hymns or readings from the Bible.

We have a number of civil ceremony scripts available to chose from. You can discuss this and any other wording you want with us prior to the date of the ceremony.

Copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate

You can buy a copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate. Certificates cost £11 and can be pre-ordered before your ceremony.

The Civil Partnerships (Opposite-sex Couples) Regulations 2019 approved

The Civil Partnerships (Opposite-sex Couples) Regulations 2019, which extend eligibility for forming civil partnerships to opposite sex couples, were approved in Parliament and made on 5 November 2019.  The regulations will come into force on 2 December 2019.

This means that any opposite-sex couple wishing to form a civil partnership can give notice from 2 December 2019, allowing for the civil partnership to be formed from 31 December 2019.


Barnet Register Office
Hendon Town Hall
The Burroughs

Telephone: 020 8359 6400

Opening hours
Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm

Rate this page?