How we deal with complaints about noise from alarms on unattended vehicles or houses.

Once you have reported the problem to us:

  1. if the problem is witnessed by one of our officers, we'll try to contact the owner and ask them to turn off the alarm.
  2. if this is not possible, a notice will be served.
  3. if the nuisance is not stopped within the specified time, we can employ a contractor to carry out the necessary work to stop the noise.
  4. the owner of the premises or car will then be charged for the cost of the work (including VAT) plus our administration. The owner can also be prosecuted.

This form will take 10 minutes to complete

Skip to: