Carers' parking permits
Carers permits are issued free of charge to residents living within a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ), who require essential home visits by a doctor, district nurse, similar healthcare professional or voluntary carers. Carer permits can only be used by individuals living in their own home, which is situated within a CPZ, in order to provide parking for healthcare visits.
Residents can pass their carers permit to such visitors to enable them to park in a 'Resident Permit Holders Only' or 'Permit Holder Only' parking place during the controlled hours.
How to apply
You can apply for a new carer permit, or renew an existing one by completing the Carers Permit Application Form
Section B of this application form must be completed and signed by your GP.
Please print, complete and return the attached form with proof of residency. Please send your completed form to the parking team (contact details below).
Send copies of documents and not originals. We do not have a public counter.
Conditions of use
- The permit only allows you to park in a 'Resident Permit Holders Only' or 'Permit Holders Only' parking place during the controlled hours, making sure that the same zone identifier letters displayed on the permit appear on the sign
- The permit does not allow you to park in 'Business Permit Holders Only' parking places, Pay and Display bays, yellow lines or any other parking restriction
- The permit may only be used in a shared use parking place where the signs indicate the zone identifier wording in condition 1
- The issue of a carers permit does not guarantee the availability of a parking space nor does in render the council subject to any liability in respect of loss or damage to the vehicle in a parking place or the contents or fittings of the vehicle
- The permit must be displayed on the front windscreen of the vehicle so that the details are clearly visible from outside the vehicle
- Parking places may be suspended by any person duly authorised by the council or police. A carers permit is not valid in a parking place where signs indicate it is suspended
- It is prohibited to use a vehicle in a parking place in connection with the sale or offering or exposing for sale of goods
- The permit must be returned by the carer to the resident after use
- Only professional or voluntary carers can use the permit
- The Council may revoke a permit if it is believed that the permit is being misused