Your black refuse bin is collected weekly. It should only contain items that cannot be recycled.
Place your bins at the boundary of your property by 6 am on your collection day.
You should check if any of the contents of your black waste bin can go in your recycling bins, as most of your waste can be recycled.
You should only use your black waste bin for:
- Non-recyclable waste
- Crisp packets
- Pet waste
- Plastic film / wrapping
- Food waste (until further notice)
Do not use your black waste bin for:
- Builders' waste - builders working at your property should take away their waste. You can fill up to six standard rubble bags of your own building rubble and take to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre no more than once per month
- Asbestos – you can book a collection by the City of London household hazardous waste collection and disposal service. You can make an appointment to take cement-bonded asbestos to Hornsey Street Re-use and Recycling Centre, Hornsey Street, London N7 8HU. Telephone 020 8884 5645 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Car batteries – take to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre
- Oil – take to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre in a sealed container
- Paint/Paint tins - take to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre.
- Energy saving light bulbs - contain small amounts of mercury and are hazardous waste. So, do not place in your bins. Take these to the Summers Lane Reuse and Recycling Centre for safe disposal.
If your item is not listed, unfortunately it cannot be recycled.
Request a black waste bin
Use the new, additional or replacement bin form to request a black waste bin.