About West Hendon
The regeneration of the West Hendon estate, in the south-west of the borough, aims to create a new mixed neighbourhood of social, private and affordable homes with a range of benefits, including a new school and community centre.
Existing homes on the West Hendon Estate do not meet the Decent Homes Standard. The development scheme will provide a mix of properties to reflect the broad range of home owners in the rest of the borough and London as a whole.
The existing community will be resettled within a new neighbourhood with existing homes replaced with new mixed tenure housing. A more accessible environment will be created where people can walk easily through the neighbourhood, with the creation of a green boulevard that will link York Park with the retail area of West Hendon Broadway. The scheme also includes improved transport links and the creation of a commercial hub. Delivery of new homes is expected to complete in 2027.
The regeneration and growth programme in West Hendon will deliver:
- 2,194 new homes
- Two new bridges and the creation of a vista, providing a pedestrian thoroughfare from Hendon train station to the rest of the estate
- Improvements along the A5 and Station Road and removal of the gyratory system
- Improved A5 crossings and pedestrian links to Hendon train station
- Community facilities
- EcoHomes standard for new homes
- Sustainably built commercial buildings
- Two-form community school for around 400 pupils
- A new nursery
- A new town centre and commercial hub with new shops and restaurants
- 1000 full time construction jobs, 126 full time non-construction jobs
- Lifetime Homes standards and better quality homes will lead to improved health and living conditions for the residents on the estate
- Improvements to York Park
- Creation of a green boulevard that will link York Park with West Hendon Broadway
Delivering for Barnet in West Hendon has already delivered:
- Completion of Phase 1 and 2 delivering 194 properties
- Phase 3A completed delivering 358 properties
- Launch of the Community Trust with associated funding for community projects
- Completion of the Interim Community Hub
The following will be delivered in 2018:
Phase 3B – delivering 206 new residential properties by the end of 2018.
Barratt Metropolitan Limited Liability Partnership
Further information for residents can be found on the dedicated West Hendon Regeneration website.