Community Trigger

Remember:  In an emergency, always call 999.  If the problem is less urgent, please call the police on 101 

Community Trigger explained

The Community Trigger aims to:

  • support victims and communities
  • reduce the number of repeat victims of anti-social behaviour.

If you've reported instances of anti-social behaviour to the police, council, a housing association or other agencies but the problem is still continuing, you can apply for the Community Trigger.

It gives you the right to call for the Barnet Community Safety Partnership (BSCP) to work together to review the problem and devise an action plan to resolve it.

Who can use the Community Trigger?

The victim or another person acting on their behalf (such as a carer or family member, Member of Parliament or councillor) can apply for Barnet's Community Trigger to operate.

The victim can be an individual, a business or a community group.

You cannot use the Community Trigger to:

  • report general acts of crime, including hate crime.
  • replace individual organisations' complaints procedures.
  • if you have an ongoing complaint that is being dealt with by the Council, police or registered housing provider.

Note: It does not replace your right to complain to the Local Authority Ombudsman or Independent Police Complaints Commission if you are unhappy about the service you have been provided by an individual officer or organisation.

What are the criteria for the Community Trigger?

The Community Trigger can be used when:

  • You have made three reports to either the council, police or registered housing provider about the same issue in the last six months and no action has been taken


  • Five individuals have separately reported about the same issue in the last six months and no action has been taken.

I don't meet the Community Trigger criteria. What do I do now?

If this is the first time you are reporting an issue or concern about anti-social behaviour, or you don't meet the criteria for another reason, you can report your concerns in the following ways:

  • contact Barnet Police on 101
  • report the issue directly to your housing office or housing association if you are a tenant of a social landlord.
  • contact London Borough of Barnet Community Safety Team on 020 8359 6071.

How do I make an application for the Community Trigger?

You can:

Information needed when applying to the Community Trigger

You will need to provide details of each time you have complained, to whom (name, organisation and/or incident reference number) and information about the anti-social behaviour.

How long will it take for my application to be considered?

We will respond to your application within 2-3 days

What can I expect?

If your application meets the criteria, all the appropriate Barnet Safer Community Partnership organisations will meet to discuss your complaint and consider what actions have been taken. The group will review how the partners have responded and make recommendations on how the problem can be resolved. It will aim to resolve the problem within 24 working days.

What happens if I am not happy with the outcome?

If you are unhappy with the Partnership response you can appeal by writing to:

Community Safety Team
2 Bristol Avenue


The team will arrange a review of the decision by a Deputy Director (or equivalent in a partner organisation). Their decision is final.