You can apply for a reduction in your Council Tax due to one or more occupants of the property being a full-time student.
- If all the adult occupiers of the property are full-time students you can get a full (100%) exemption.
- If all but one of the adult occupants are full-time students, then a 25% discount is applicable and the non-students would be liable for the residual amount.
- If more than one of the adult occupiers of the property are non-students then no reduction is applicable and a full charge is payable by the non-student occupants.
To get the student discount your course must
- last at least 1 year
- involve at least 21 hours study per week
If you study for a qualification up to A level and you’re under 20, your course must:
- last at least 3 months
- involve at least 12 hours study per week
Evening classes or courses taken as part of your job, such as day release, are not included.
What you need to complete this form
You will need to create a new MyAccount or have an existing one. An application for the student discount can only be made through the Council Tax section of the MyAccount portal.
You will be required to upload a Council Tax student certificate for each student occupier - these should be obtained from the educational establishment they attend.
No reduction can be applied without a valid certificate for each student occupier, and the full charge remains payable until these are provided.
The form will take about 10 minutes.
You will be able to save and resume the form later if you need to.