The Local Plan
The Local Plan is the development plan for the borough. It sets out how we will manage development and growth in Barnet. It has replaced the Unitary Development Plan except for the 13 policies for Brent Cross and Cricklewood. It is a collection of documents that work alongside national policy and the Mayor's London Plan to inform planning decisions.
The Local Plan includes Development Plan Documents (DPDs) and Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs).
Development plan documents (DPDs)
- The Core Strategy DPD sets out our vision, objectives and strategic policies
- The Development Management Policies DPD sets out the framework for making decisions
- The Mill Hill East Area Action Plan
- The Colindale Area Action Plan
- The North London Waste Plan
Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs)
These documents provide further detailed guidance on policy topics such as:
- Affordable Housing
- Planning Obligations
- Delivering Skills, Employment, Enterprise and Training (SEET)
- Grahame Park
- Sustainable Design and Construction
- Residential Design Guidance
- Green Infrastructure
- Edgware Growth Area
We always consult with you about our SPDs and they play an important part in making planning decisions.
Town centre frameworks
- Town centre frameworks - Aim to create the right environment for vibrant and viable town centres in Barnet
- Planning briefs - Find our guidelines and requirements for the development of particular sites
Design guidance notes
- Design guidance notes - provide more detailed guidance on deciding planning applications.
Other local plan documents
- The Authorities Monitoring Report – monitors the performance of the Local Plan and identifies trends affecting Barnet
- LDF evidence and supporting documents - information gathered from many sources to help us identify the key issues and opportunities for the future of the borough and provide a strong basis for our planning strategy and policies.
The proposals map that formed part of the adopted UDP (2006) remains as the Proposals Map for the Local Plan subject to amendments through the Development Management Policies document with regard to town centres, safeguarded employment areas and areas of special archaeological significance as well as the area action plans for Colindale and Mill Hill East. Maps accompanying Local Plan documents are now known as the Policies Map.