Parents living in the London Borough of Barnet with children who are less than 18 months old are entitled to a subsidy towards the cost of using real nappies.
Buy your own nappies to use and wash yourself and we will give you a refund of up to £54.15 on the cost of the nappies. You will need to fill out the claim form, as well as provide the following proof with your completed form:
- proof of purchase, for example original receipts for the purchase of real nappies
- a copy of your child's birth certificate,
- two items showing proof of your address, for example a recent utility or Council Tax bill, and
- a copy of a bank statement showing the account number, sort code, bank name and your address. We accept redacted copies, but they need to show the required information and match with the bank details you provide on your application form.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, it may be difficult to get the signature of a healthcare professional for your claim. As an alternative, we will accept a letter or email from a healthcare provider as proof of an upcoming or recent birth or adoption, for example a confirmation of a medical appointment.
If you have any queries about what would be acceptable please contact us
4 good reasons to try real nappies!
There are many reasons why more and more parents are now using real nappies, here are four to start you off:
- Easy-to-use alternative to disposables
Modern real nappies are shaped to fit your baby snugly. They can be washed easily at home or with a nappy laundering service.
- Good for babies’ skin
Made of natural breathable fabrics, they are kinder to baby’s skin and don’t contain chemicals or absorbent gels.
- Help the environment
One baby will use 5,000 disposable nappies, so using real nappies prevents unnecessary waste going for disposal.
- Save money
Get started with real nappies from just £54.15. Unlike disposables, they can be used for future children saving you money. There is no need to soak or pre-wash nappies, just wash at 60°C.
Real nappies don’t have to be an all or nothing commitment, you can still use disposables as well.