Drains and gullies: flooding
Overflowing road gullies (highway drains)
London Borough of Barnet as Highways Authority has drainage responsibilities for carriageways and footways. This is usually done through maintaining existing road gullies (or constructing new ones if required).
A road gully is the slotted iron grating situated in the carriageway adjacent to the kerb. The purpose of the road gully is to collect storm water runoff when it rains.
Report a blocked gully (drain)
If you see water flowing out of a road gully, it could be that it is blocked. You can report a blocked gully by calling us on 020 8359 3555 (office hours Monday to Thursday 9 am to 5:15 pm, Friday 9 am to 5 pm), Out of office hours call 020 8359 2000 or by sending an email to HighwaysCorrespondence@Barnet.gov.uk or report-it online.
Although we accept that some road gullies may be blocked and need our attention, in many cases, specially during storm events, it is found that the public sewers are unable to cope with the amount of water generated by the storm, which means that the water is unable to drain away.
In such instances, it is recommended that you and any neighbours who have been similarly affected, engage with Thames Water (by calling 0800 316 98000 (24 hour service) advising them of the situation. You should provide them with as much detail as possible, supplying date(s) and details of how you were flooded and ask them to ensure that these incidents are logged onto their “flooding history database” as this will contribute to the possibility of an improvement in the sewer system.
Additionally, the highway drainage systems (gullies) are not designed to cope with heavy storms, so ‘flooding’ of the highway is expected during a storm event but this will go down over time. We investigate each and every reported flooding.
Autumn leaf clearance and targeted gully cleaning
With over 30,000 street trees in the borough, autumn leaf fall can present a significant challenge to the Council in ensuring the highway drains are kept running.
To address this, we are launching a pilot programme where the highways drainage cleaning teams are operating with the street cleaning teams to clear the highway of leaf matter at the same time as cleaning the highway drains.
Residents and businesses in the borough can assist us in our efforts by moving their vehicles when requested, to ensure we can obtain clear access to the highway edge.
The pilot programme will be focussed on these priority routes across the borough:
Road names beginning with the letters A to D
- Ballards Lane N3 from Alexandra Grove to The Ridgeway
- Barnet Road EN5 from Galley Lane to Stirling Corner (whole road)
- Brunswick Park Road N11 from Osidge Lane to Betstyle Circus (whole road)
- Church Hill Road EN4 from Parkside Gardens to Littlegrove
- Claremont Road NW2 from Tilling Road to Cricklewood Lane (whole road)
Road names beginning with the letters E to K
- East End Road N3/N2 from Deansway to Regents Park Road
- Finchley Road NW11 from A406 North Circular to Hoop Lane
- Friern Barnet Lane N20 / N11 from Friern Barnet Road to High Road (whole road)
- Friern Barnet Road N11 from Regal Drive to St John’s Church
- Gallants Farm Road EN4 from Russell Lane to Alverstone Avenue (whole road)
- Golders Green Road NW11 from Finchley Road to A406 North Circular (whole road)
- Gravel Hill N3 from Regents Park Road to Hendon Lane (whole road)
- Great North Road N20/EN5 from Lyonsdown Road to Station Road
- Hale Lane HA8/NW7 from Edgwarebury Lane to Farm Road
- Hampden Way N14 from Osidge Lane to Waterfall Road (whole road)
- Hendon Lane N3 from Regents Park Road to A1 (whole road)
- High Road/Great North Road N20 from Swan Lane to Lyonsdown Road
- High Road N12 from Swan Lane to A406 North Circular
- High Road N2 from A406 North Circular to The Bishops Avenue
- Holders Hill Road NW4/NW7 from Holders Hill Circus roundabout to A1 (whole road)
- Hoop Lane NW11 from Golders Green Road to Meadway Gate (whole road)
Road names beginning with the letters L to R
- Oakleigh Park South N20 from Oakleigh Road North to Oakleigh Park North (whole road)
- Regents Park Road N3 from Arcadia Avenue to A406 North Circular
Road names beginning with the letters S to Z
- The Bishops Avenue N2 from High Road to Hampstead Lane (whole road)
- Wildwood Road NW11 from Hampstead Way to Meadway (whole road)
- Windermere Avenue N3 from Beechwood Avenue to East End Road (whole road)
- Wise Lane NW7 from Daws Lane to Milespit Hill (whole road)
- York Road EN4 from New Barnet station to Longmore Avenue