Why we collect and share information
We need to collect and share information to provide services effectively.
We take our responsibility to protect your data seriously and we will use it following the legal requirements of the Data Protection Act 2018 and The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Parental consent is now required for the processing of personal data of children under the age of 16.
Silence or inactivity does not constitute consent; clear and affirmative consent to the processing of private data must be provided. By completing a valid application you are giving your consent.
School Admissions Code
We will be compliant with the School Admissions Code, which has the force of law. The purpose of the code is to ensure that all school places for state funded schools (excluding maintained special schools) and academies are allocated and offered in an open and fair way and in accordance with the published admission arrangements for the school. The code requires councils to coordinate the admission arrangements for entry to Reception, Year 3 in junior schools and Year 7 in secondary schools.
In respect of in-year admissions, Barnet Council is the admission authority for all community schools. Academies, including free schools, foundation and voluntary aided schools in Barnet have delegated the co-ordination of their admissions to Barnet Council.
Information on your application
The information you provide to us on your application, including any supporting papers will be used to:
- process your application
- enable the efficient co-ordination and fair allocation of school places in accordance with the School Admissions Code
- make sure education is provided for through Children Missing Education and Fair Access Protocol processes and panels
- consider admission appeals
- populate our education database which runs our school admissions allocation system
What type of information is collected from you
To effectively and efficiently process applications for admissions to schools and school admission appeals we collect:
- name, date of birth and gender of the child
- address where the child ordinarily lives at the time of application, which will be used for distance calculation purposes
- school preferences
- supplementary information, if required by individual school admission policies
- parent name and contact details
- details of siblings
- current or last education provision
- child looked after status or adoption
- requesting a school place
- appealing against the refusal of a school
- child has an Education, Health and Care Plan
- parent works for the school requested
- child has been permanently excluded from their last provision
- child has attended school in England before
- additional information as required under our Fair Access Protocol and relevant background information from the current school or last school (where applicable).
Who your information may be shared with (internally and externally)
Agencies we may share the information with
- education providers to advise them of upcoming admissions
- other councils (via London Grid for Learning for London school preferences) to enable councils to process applications for schools in their area
- admission authority schools to enable them to administer their admissions accurately
- Department for Education to comply with statutory data collections
- other teams within the council to verify the application information provided so that the admission process can be accurately administered
- other teams in the council to ensure access to education and for other safeguarding purposes
- health services to inform school nursing services of destination schools
- admission appeal panels
- the Schools Adjudicator in response to any complaints made
- the Local Government Ombudsman who has a remit for investigating maladministration in respect of school admissions and appeals
- other councils, agencies, organisations, and internal departments to identify and prevent fraudulent applications as part of our duty to prevent and detect crime and protect public funds.
How long we keep your information
We keep your information for the current application year plus another 7 years.