Energy efficiency

In October 2015 there were changes made to The Housing Act 2004 which requires Landlords to show prospective tenants a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) before a tenancy agreement is entered.

Energy efficiency advice for landlords

Landlords MUST have an EPC before they advertise the property, aside from some exemptions. If they don't, they are liable to a £200 fine.

All properties which are being advertised for sale or rent since 9 January 2013 must display the Energy Indicator, regardless of the length of time the property has been listed. 

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

Your property's EPC needs to be available to potential buyers as soon as you start to market your property for sale or rent. You must get an approved Domestic Energy Assessor to produce the EPC.

Check for approved Domestic Energy Assessors

To see more advice on these topics, visit GOV.UK:

National Energy Saving Advice Line

The National Energy Saving Advice Line is a government service that provides free impartial advice on the Green Deal, ECO and energy efficiency. Their contact number is 0300 123 1234. The National Energy Saving Advice Line is run by the Energy Saving Trust.

The Mayor's London Boiler Cashback Scheme

The London Boiler Cashback Scheme is helping homeowners and tenants across London to reduce heating energy consumption by 20 per cent and cut annual bills by around £340.

The scheme, which offers £400 cashback when old and inefficient boilers are replaced, is open to both private landlords accredited under the London Rental Standard and home owners.

Funding is limited so look at the full details and register your interest.

Planning permissions

Planning permission, listed building consent or other planning approvals may be required for works undertaken as energy efficiency measures and must be obtained prior to the undertaking of any works.

For works concerning single residential dwellings guidance is available from our Duty Planner Service on 020 8359 3000.