Join a library
Become a library member if you live, work or study in Barnet
When you join the library, you can borrow books, DVDs, CDs and audiobooks.
You can also:
- pre-book a computer to use the internet and MS Office for free
- have free access to the internet for up to 90 minutes per day
- borrow ebooks, audiobooks and digital magazines free
- access over 300 online resources from home for free.
There are two types of library membership:
- full library membership for use in any Barnet library and online
- e-membership if you just want to use our digital library.
How to join
There are two ways to join the library:
- complete a membership form, available from outside any Barnet library, and return it to us during our opening times
- apply online.
If you are aged 15 or under, a parent or guardian will have to sign your application form for you.
When you apply online you will be set up as an e-member. You can use all our online resources and borrow ebooks, eAudiobooks and digital magazines immediately. To upgrade your card to full membership contact any Barnet Library with your e-membership number.
This form takes 3 minutes to complete.
Using your library card
We'll give you a PIN so that you can use the library computers and access our digital library.
Please bring your library card with you if you want to borrow or renew items in the library. You can also renew items by phone or online. You will need your library card and PIN to do this.
Special library cards
- Childminders and Foster Carers can apply for an extra library card, so you can borrow another 20 items in addition to your own library allowance. Standard loan periods and charges apply
- preschool leaders can borrow up to 30 items, plus themed story boxes. Books can be borrowed for up to 90 days
- people living with Dementia can borrow the standard 20 items with no fines on the late return of books. Fines and charges for CDs and DVDs will apply.
Childminders, preschool leaders and foster carers must show proof of their name and address and their OFSTED or Local Authority registration documents when obtaining a special library card.
To apply for a special card please call your local library
Discover your library newsletter for adults
Register if you would like to join our mailing list to receive our newsletter providing information about activities, events and library services for adults. Newsletters are normally sent weekly. Please read our privacy notice before joining.
Discover your library newsletter for children and families
You can also join our mailing list to receive our newsletter providing information about activities, events and library services relevant to children and parents. Newsletters are normally sent weekly.
Please read our privacy notice before joining.