Join a library
Library membership is open to anyone who lives, works or studies in Barnet
There are 2 types of library membership:
- e-membership if you want to use our digital library and online resources
- full library membership for use in any Barnet library and online
Apply online for e-membership
E-membership allows you to use all our online resources and borrow ebooks, eAudiobooks and digital magazines straight away.
You can apply online and will need a working email address.
This form takes 3 minutes to complete.
Full library membership
If you already have e-membership you can upgrade to full membership by visiting any Barnet Library with your e-membership number.
If you don't have e-membership, you will need to complete a short form, which is available from any Barnet library, and return it to a member of staff during staffed opening times
We will issue you with a library card.
If you are aged 15 or under, a parent or guardian will need to sign your form for you.
Full membership allows you to borrow books, DVDs, CDs and audiobooks.
You can also:
- use a computer to browse the internet and use MS Office for free
- borrow ebooks, eAudiobooks and digital magazines for free
- access our online resources from home for free
Using your library card
We'll give you a Personal Identification Number (PIN) so that you can use the library computers and access our digital library.
Please bring your library card with you if you want to borrow or renew items in the library.
You can also renew items by phone or online, you will need your library card and PIN to do this.
More information about your library card PIN
Special library cards
- Childminders and Foster Carers can apply for an extra library card, so you can borrow another 20 items in addition to your own library allowance. Standard loan periods and charges apply
- preschool leaders can borrow up to 30 items, plus themed story boxes. Books can be borrowed for up to 90 days
- people living with Dementia can borrow the standard 20 items with no fines on the late return of books. Fines and charges for CDs and DVDs will apply
Childminders, preschool leaders and foster carers must show proof of their name and address and their OFSTED or Local Authority registration documents when obtaining a special library card.
To apply for a special card please visit your local library
Discover your library newsletters
You can register to join our e-newsletters to receive information about activities, events and library services.
Find out more about library newsletters