Your library needs you: become a library volunteer
We are looking for people who:
- are enthusiastic, energetic and passionate about their local library
- would like to gain new skills, meet new people and contribute to their local community
- are interested in volunteering to help with a range of activities and services in Barnet libraries
- are aged 18 years old or over (if you are between 14 and 17 years old, please contact your local library about volunteering opportunities)
To find out about volunteering opportunities at Partnership Libraries please directly contact; Childs Hill library, Mill Hill library, New Barnet library or South Friern library.
Volunteer Select and Collect Assistant
This is a supporting role within libraries helping with our Select and Collect service.
- greeting Select and Collect customers
- assisting with the preparation and collection of Select and Collect bags
This is a supporting role within libraries during our self-service opening hours.
- helping customers use self-service kiosks
- assisting with any questions the customers may have
- dealing with queries about self-service
- promoting library services, events and online resources
Volunteer Resource Assistant for the School Libraries Resource Service
This is a supporting role based at the School Libraries Resource Service (SLRS). You will be helping to develop strong relationships with schools, helping to discharge and return resources and maintain SLRS stock.
Volunteer Early Years Activity Assistants
Support library staff at events for under fives. Tasks include setting up the room, signing people in, handing out musical instruments and promoting the library service. Volunteers are required to support staff, run activities that take place in staffed and self-service opening hours.
Support library staff by ensuring that the library is always welcoming and inviting. Tasks include putting stock back onto the shelves in the correct order. Volunteers are required for staffed opening hours.
Volunteer Event Assistants
This is a supporting role, providing additional help to library staff running events for adults at prearranged times.
How to apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your local library for an application form.
There may be a delay in the application process for volunteering due to the pandemic. Thank you for your patience during this time.
If you want to have an informal chat about volunteering, you can speak to our Library Community Engagement Officer by telephone: 020 8359 4210