COVID-19 Outbreak. Highway services are currently operating a reduced service.

Possible delays in applications
Street parties and events postponed until further notice
Find out more

After substantial roadworks have been carried out, we are eligible to restrict any further works in the same area for up to 5 years. This is known as a "Section 58".

(Please arrange the four subheadings below in a group of four, in the centre, with two above and two below)


Road and Street Works in the London Borough of Barnet 

*please insert a hyperlink which opens a separate page providing the following text*

Most of the works undertaken in the borough are undertaken by statutory private utility companies, who install, repair or renew their assets.

Examples of these include:

  • Cadent Gas
  • Thames Water
  • British Telecoms (Openreach)
  • UK Power Networks
  • Affinity Water
  • Virgin Media

Under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, these utility companies that work on the public highway must comply with legislative requirements such as:

  • Safety of their works site and excavations
  • Standard of the reinstatement of the carriageway, footway, footpath and verges
  • Qualifications of the employees undertaking the works
  • Notification by these undertakers to the Council for proposed works


Street Works Register

*please insert a hyperlink which opens a separate page providing the following text*

*please insert a hyperlink for the word, 'here' re: access to One Network*


We are responsible for co-ordinating and monitoring street works carried out by utility companies. This includes maintaining a register of all planned street works with information such as:

  • The utility or developer undertaking the work
  • Planned start and end dates
  • Location of works
  • A description of works

To view proposed works in the borough, please click here (insert hyperlink) to access One Network


Inspecting Street and Roads Works

*please insert a hyperlink which opens a separate page providing the following text*

We inspect Street and Road Works across the course of a financial year in line with Street Works inspection legislation. Inspections of works takes place over four different stages of the financial year. If we find things wrong with these sites we try and work together with them to sort out these issues, we can also issue a fine if they don't comply. Undertakers can apply for extensions of time to their works due to unforeseen circumstances. We are obliged to hold quarterly meetings with the utilities and Transport for London to discuss programmed planned works across the borough.


Protections of new footways and roads

*please insert a hyperlink which opens a separate page providing the following text*

Under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, we can protect our newly laid roads and footways for a certain amount of time. To do this we can serve Section 58 notices on the utilities listed above.

This Section 58 notice prevents utilities from digging up up roads and footways for a period between 3-5 years after the road has been reconstructed or resurfaced. There are some exemptions to the rule such as:

  • Minor works that do not involve breaking up or excavation of the highway
  • Immediate (emergency) works
  • Customer connections
  • Works to comply with an improvement notice or prohibition notice issued by the Health and Safety Executive under Sections 21 or 22 of the Health and Safety Work etc. Act 1974
  • Works carried out to comply with a programme approved under Regulation 13(a) of the Pipelines Safety Regulations 1996 (SI1996/825, as amended by SI2003/2563) that could not have been identified before the restriction began.


*please add this subheading just under the aforementioned four*

Utility contact details

*please insert a hyperlink which opens a separate page providing the following table*



  Company to contact

          What for            Phone numbers
Thames Water Water and public sewer/drains 0800 316 9800
UK Power Networks Electricity Customer services  - 0800 028 0709
Cadent Gas Gas

Leaks (emergencies only) - 0800 111999

Other enquiries - 0345 835 1111

Virgin Media Cable 0800 519 6929
BT (Openreach) Telecoms

Residential Services - 0800 800 150

Business Services - 0800 800 152

General Enquiries 0207 356 5000

Transport for London (TfL) If you find a faulty traffic signal in the borough, or anywhere in London, you can report it to Transport for London 0343 222 1234


Temporary Traffic Order Application

*please insert a hyperlink which leads to the application for 2020/21*

Council decisions

No decisions found.

Rate this page?