How we are dealing with the climate emergency
Why we declared a climate emergency
In May 2022, Barnet Council declared a climate and biodiversity emergency.
We have declared a climate emergency because we recognise that urgent action is needed to tackle climate change and biodiversity loss.
We want to work faster and harder than ever before to make Barnet a more social, economic and environmentally sustainable borough.
Our vision for the future
We are working together to be 1 of London’s most sustainable boroughs.
We'll be a borough that:
- is a vocal climate leader
- takes action to deliver outcomes, tackling the most urgent environmental, social and economic challenges whilst being agile in an ever-changing landscape
- ensures our actions don't negatively impact future generations
- supports residents and businesses to make sustainable choices
A quote from The Leader of Barnet Council
“Our vision is to work together to be one of the most sustainable boroughs in London. As a new administration this is the start of our journey to future-proof Barnet and put sustainability and communities at the heart of everything we do, ensuring everyone can benefit from green growth and that no-one is held back.
We want to create a local green revolution, developing skills today to realise the potential of tomorrow. Whether that’s to
- help deliver our ambitions on zero carbon development and affordable homes
- build a network of local suppliers to turbocharge our green economy
- encourage digital, cultural, and creative industries that help further our sustainability goals
For us this is as much about celebrating our diversity and promoting equality and inclusion as it is about addressing the climate emergency.
We are a council that cares about people, places, and planet, and we want to seize all the opportunities for change to make Barnet socially, economically, and environmentally sustainable.
Our ambition is to be an exemplar of what a successful and sustainable 21st century borough looks like.”
Cllr Barry Rawlings, Leader of Barnet Council
What does this mean for you
Being a sustainable borough means we'll work to:
- prepare our borough for future changes
- look after the environment
- protect our green spaces and biodiversity for our generations to come
We will work together with local people, communities and business across the borough, to become net zero carbon in Barnet by 2042, and for the council by 2030
Sustainability will be at the heart of everything we do and want to empower local communities to do the same.
We want the changes we make to benefit everyone.