Barnet Youth Assembly
About the Barnet Youth Assembly
Barnet Youth Board is now holding hybrid meetings in person and online via Microsoft Teams.
Barnet Youth Assembly is open to anyone aged 11 to 18 (up to 25 with additional needs) who are living, studying or working in Barnet.
If you have any questions, please email YouthAssembly@barnet.gov.uk
What you can do as a member
As a Youth Assembly member you can:
- come together to debate local issues which are important to you
- make your voice heard within the council’s democratic decision making process
- have the opportunity to hear from and ask questions of influential guest speakers
- take your issues directly to elected councillors who discuss how the council can best address them
Benefits of joining
- improves debating and public speaking skills whilst sitting in the same seats as the elected council members at Hendon Town Hall
- develops your skills and confidence in public speaking, debating and critical thinking
- gives you the opportunity to work with other Youth Forums in the borough on an annual social action project
- enables young people to develop life skills, self-confidence, self-esteem and a sense of civic responsibility
What young people say
“Barnet Youth Assembly is a forum of young people from across the Borough that convenes once a month to discuss how Barnet can be improved for young people. It is a platform for young people to raise issues, discuss solutions and oversee projects that will create positive change for the wider community. Each Assembly focuses on matters that are significant and essential to young people. Through discussion, debating motions, collaboration and action, Barnet Youth Assembly is the driving force behind ensuring that young people’s voices are heard in decision making processes.
Barnet is our home, where we study and where we have grown up. Becoming a member of the Barnet Youth Assembly is an opportunity for our voices to be heard and for the chance to oversee and implement projects that will benefit young people. Meeting new people, learning skills, collaborating, critically thinking and projecting your passions are a handful of the thrilling rewards of being a member. It isn’t often that young people have access to a platform to serve our community and bring about positive change! If you’re a young person living or studying in Barnet, get involved!” Chair of Barnet Youth Assembly