Applications for the Mayor’s fund are currently closed
School uniform grants can only be made during summertime school holidays.
Grants are small one-off payments are given to residents living in the borough who are in financial need.
To qualify for a grant, applicants must:
- be living in the borough of Barnet
- be in receipt of an income-related statutory welfare benefit (such as Universal Credit).
How the Mayor’s Benevolent Fund can be used
Applicants are restricted to a maximum of 2 awards from the benevolent fund.
From April 2022, these grants will only be for helping with the cost of school uniform. This grant is for children aged 11 or over who are:
- transferring from primary to secondary school
- starting a new secondary school
- The maximum award is £100 per child.
Applicants should check before applying to see if the school in question operates its own scheme of assistance. The benevolent fund will then consider making up any shortfall up to £100 per child.
How and when to apply for the Mayor’s Benevolent Fund
Applications should include:
- the applicant’s name and address and contact telephone number
- the number of family members resident in the household, including the ages of all dependants
- details of the family’s regular income
- proof of entitlement to at least one form of income-related statutory welfare benefits
- confirmation of entitlement to help with council tax through council tax support
- a summary of an applicant’s circumstances in support of the request for help
- reference to other sources of funding that have been approached.
Applications should be made by e-mail to MBF@barnet.gov.uk
Requests will be accepted from a third party, such as a social worker or an advice agency. The third party should have first-hand knowledge of the client’s circumstances.
The decision-making process
The trustees of the benevolent fund consider all applications made during summertime school holidays.
If applications contain all the information required, it usually takes about 4 to 5 weeks to get a decision.
The trustees’ decisions are final.
Notification and payment of awards
All decisions are notified by letter to the named contact.
Awards are paid by cheque, usually in favour of the designated school outfitter.
For further information, please email MBF@barnet.gov.uk
Find out more about our benefits, grants, and financial advice.