Select and Collect
About the Select and Collect service
Select and Collect allows you to borrow items while libraries have limited opening times. You can visit a library and choose your own items to borrow if you would prefer.
Select and Collect allows you to borrow books, CDs and DVDs by telling us in advance what you want to read, listen to or watch.
We will put together the items you’ve asked for, ready for you to collect at a chosen library.
You can select items to borrow for yourself and for children.
Request up to 15 items on your library card.
You can use the Select and Collect service as frequently as you want. We have new stock arriving weekly.
Our Home Library Service is available to anyone who is unable to collect items from a library.
Barnet library members can use the Select and Collect service.
If you’re not a member you can join the library online or visit us to register.
Libraries participating in select and collect
You can request items via Select and collect from all libraries.
Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are not taking new Select and Collect requests for Mill Hill library. The library is open and you can collect items if you have been informed that they are ready.
How to make a Select and Collect request
There are 4 ways to use the Select and Collect service. You can choose your own items using Barnet Libraries Online, you can let us choose your items using our Select and Collect form, or you can request items by phone or email.
Use the Select and Collect service in the following ways:
Choose your own items using Barnet Libraries Online
To use Barnet Libraries Online you must have a library card that starts 20131
If your library card starts with H00 please request your items using the online form, email or phone.
Using libraries online:
- Log in to 'My Account' in Barnet Libraries Online and search our catalogue for the item you want to request.
- Choose the library where you want to collect the item from and click the Select and Collect button.
- You will receive an email when your items are ready to collect. Please read this carefully as it will tell you what to do next.
You can check your loans in My Account in Barnet Libraries Online
Use our select and collect form to request items.
You can tell us:
- what you like to read, watch or listen to
- what genres or formats you need
- how many items you would like and we will put together a selection based on your preferences.
We won't always get it right, but we hope to introduce you to new books and authors you'll like
You can use the form to select library items such as:
- books for adults, teenagers and children
- CDs, DVDs and audiobooks
How to use the Select and Collect request form
- You can select up to 3 categories: genres, book formats and types of library item on the form
- If you need to choose more than 3 categories, please complete another online form
- To start the form, please choose Continue without registering
Select and Collect by phone
If you are unable to request your items on Barnet Libraries Online or by completing the request form you can call the library you want to collect from, Monday to Saturday from 10am to 5pm.
Select and Collect by email
Send an email to Libraries Help please add Select and Collect in the subject line.
In the email please tell us:
- your name
- library card number
- the select and collect library you wish to collect from and
- what you would like to borrow
- if the item you want is for an adult or child
- if you want fiction (novels) or non-fiction (information)
- if your requests are for study or leisure
- the genre of fiction you enjoy
- who your favourite authors are
- if you want to wait for all your items to be available before you collect or collect items as they become available
What you can borrow:
- a selection of books by a specific author, for example, 5 books by Agatha Christie
- a book or selection of books on a subject such as, a book on dinosaurs for a child aged 6
- the format: large print, audiobook, hardback or paperback, DVD or CD
- the number of items you would like, you can request up to 15 items on your library card
- please be as clear as possible so we choose the best items for you
Find out more in our video.
Collecting and returning your library items
When items will be available for collection
Items on loan to another customer will not be available until they are returned.
If you chose an item that’s not available at your select and collect library, you will have to wait longer for it.
When and how to collect your items
We will contact you by email or telephone when your collection is ready.
You do not need your library card to collect your items.
If you are collecting items on behalf of a friend or family member you will need to inform us prior to collection.
How to return your items
Items can be returned to any of the select and collect libraries. You can return items inside the library during our opening times.
Out of hours return bins are available at Chipping Barnet, Edgware, Finchley Church End, Golders Green and Hendon libraries.
Keeping library members and staff safe
For the safety of you and all our staff, we request that you wear a face covering and follow social distancing rules when collecting items.
Collecting new membership cards and lost cards
If your library card starts H00, when you collect your items, your new library card will be inside your Select and Collect bag.
If you’ve lost your library card, please contact us before visiting the library.
Tell us what you think
Please complete our survey and give us your views on our Select and Collect service.
Sign up for our newsletters
Keep up to date with our latest news and events by joining our e-newsletters. Find out more and register